Thursday, June 16, 2022

Lesson 1, Day 4 with Redd*

 

Interesting enough, this has been, thus far, the only resistance I've gotten from Redd.  Well, we shall see as the lessons continue where/when she says, "NO!, I'm NOT doing it (whatever the 'it' is)."  So you know, EVERY dog will have a Point of Contention in this course where they refuse to do as trained to do. EVERY DOG.  And we will work that dog's Point of Contention through to success as we don't want the dog to be able to succeed at failing to obey. 

And from a trainer and an Instructor's perspective, I'd much rather have the dog's Point of Contention show up early in the training instead of later. Why? Because it's far, FAR easier to help the struggling dog to succeed when the retrieve lessons are at less than 12". Why? "Because distance erodes control - ALWAYS." So, if I can work a dog through its Point of Contention EARLY in this process, the dog then believes me that I CAN and WILL ALWAYS help them do the right thing (obey the command given) and as distance increases, the dog's belief in me will help them do the job (obey the command) as the distances increase. 

AND every new student WILL hit their own breaking point where they want to quit the retrieve training journey. EVERY student will face a part of themselves they don't like and they will need to be open and willing to take my coaching to get them past their own inner mental stumbling block. EVERY student faces this during this course.

I am here to help you succeed with your dog every step of the way, just don't be surprised when your dog refuses to obey or when you want to quit.  All part of the transformation this Course produces in both owner and dog.  AND the struggle is a key component to why this Course is so powerful in creating a phenomenal TEAM at the end of it.  Just takes perseverance and diligence.

Onward..
 

* Please note this was an impromptu training session so I failed to have my leash on Redd. You absolutely MUST have your leash on your dog to do ANY of the retrieve work.


No comments:

Post a Comment